Wednesday, April 30, 2014

At least I can feel good about our new laundry system. Katy over at the NonConsumer Advocate wrote a


Just a note: I’m moving to twice weekly posts – Mondays and Thursdays – for a while. I have a project I’m working on and we’re in a rough patch with Henry for sleep. Will be on this schedule until one or both of these items are sorted.
I don’t want to downplay it, and I’m sure there are still challenges ahead for us in adjusting to life in the UK, but it’s really been quite smooth. We’re settled in our home, know where the parks and grocery k cineplex nicosia mall stores are, and are already making new friends.
First, there is the smoking oven. Every time I turn the oven on in our new flat smoke billows k cineplex nicosia mall out of it. Closer inspection shows thick grease all over the back side and top element. It appears someone cleaned it and skipped these areas.
Line drying k cineplex nicosia mall is big over here. While seen as a fun exercise for quaint hippies in North America, hanging your washing outside to dry is how it’s done here. I’ve heard people turn their noses up at having an electric clothes dryer. After seeing utility costs here, I have to agree.
To keep to code with sanitary laws here, all flats have to have laundry washing capabilities. Small space and frugal landlords k cineplex nicosia mall mean that most of them have what’s called a washer dryer: an all in one machine that will wash and dry your clothes. Sounds brilliant, right?
Every local or person that has lived here for a significant amount of time refers k cineplex nicosia mall to these machines as rubbish. They will wash up to 6kg and supposedly dry up to 4kg in around 3 hours. Strange math for a machine manufacturer but as I understood it, I just needed to put small loads in.
I asked for help in the comments here and got some answers. We also enlisted k cineplex nicosia mall a local friend for help – k cineplex nicosia mall she’d used one of these machines before. She gave me a run through and I tried again. Still wet. This friend also knew the old tenant of our place and found out the washer dryer had never worked for him either.
But, really, it’s not that bad. I just have to be on my game with getting a load in most mornings and hanging it as soon as it’s done. So far it takes up to 36 hours to get everything dry.
At least I can feel good about our new laundry system. Katy over at the NonConsumer Advocate wrote about t he benefits to line drying . Better for your clothes, the environment and your utility bills. There are also some useful tips in the comments section k cineplex nicosia mall if you have issues hanging outdoors (dust, pollen).
Like what you read here at The Minimalist Mom? Sign up by RSS or Email to get posts delivered to you. You can also find The Minimalist Mom on Facebook (I’ve deleted my personal account but have a page for this blog). Comments are always read, appreciated and responded to – even if we don’t agree on the subject at hand.
I hang up some clothes in the house, blue jeans, delicates & some stuff that I’m concerned about shrinkage. My husband likes me to do his shirts in the dryer, otherwise k cineplex nicosia mall they seem to stretch to two sizes to big.
Shhh… I send my husband’s shirts k cineplex nicosia mall out. I HATE ironing. He tries to get at least 2-3 wears out of his shirts before we send them in. I’ve told him he can iron them himself but he wasn’t into it.
I have a washer dryer and I think it’s a pain in the ass too! But it does sound like yours could be broken. Mine takes about 90mins to dry a normal sized (5kg) load. I don’t use the dryer function k cineplex nicosia mall a lot because of the expense & the noise!
Are the clothes coming out hot and wet or just wet? The heating bit could be broken. Or it might not be spinning enough… does it spin round so much that it looks/sounds like it’s going to take off? genuinely a good description, hehe!
I’d recommend one of these for drying. I can get a whole load on it and it doesn’t take up much space. http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/indoor-airers/sabichi-concertina-airer/invt/1292440/?htxt=PsAGyAqy%2FDSGVBgOHPBfATKVETOKIWHcwqoICuDrG%2FxTcDPfxIrYzUvEu76RzzM6wutKTeo9AOCBtDs76aYYKg%3D%3D
and this if you have the radiators on in winter. http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/indoor-airers/4-bar-radiator-airer/invt/0056804/?htxt=PsAGyAqy%2FDSGVBgOHPBfATKVETOKIWHcwqoICuDrG%2FxTcDPfxIrYzUvEu76RzzM6wutKTeo9AOCBtDs76aYYKg%3D%3D
Thanks for this info, Lynn. Yes, everything comes out hot and wet. Not sopping wet but not just damp either. It all needs to hang at least overnight. The landlord thinks we just haven’t read the instruction manual. But I’ve read it a couple of times now and watched the machine cycle through.
I hang dry my clothes outside in summer, and beside our woodstove in winter…unless I’m feeling lazy – then I use the dryer. Setting up a fan really helps speed up the drying of our clothes inside. Or if you have a ceiling fan – setting up the drying rack beneath that helps.
I line dry almost eve

No comments:

Post a Comment